Friday, July 18, 2014

Introduction, part 2

     Last time we covered some basics and thoughts on how this works. This time is about the mechanics. There is a division in the craft about sacred tools, places, rituals, and so on. It works out to this: if you can get results, it really doesn't matter. Spells are a leading illustration. You see on tv, some cute girl stirring away on some goo in a mixing bowl and telling her roommate she is working on a spell. For some this is the wildest violation of how they would work, for others, it is not that far from it. Spells can be done simply by breathing in, and breathing out. I have long held that the spell is about fooling ourselves into believing the energy will move. Sometimes it takes me a profound effort, and sometimes it doesn't happen.
     The tarot is not actually different. I know a reader that goes online to a free reading site and asks her querent's question, reads the cards, and talks to her client. Oh! And gets results most of the time. I know another reader that has a special room, does ritual cleansings, is quite careful how she allows energy to happen around her cards, and is quite gifted in her readings.
     I am in the middle on this, I am not so careful where and how I read, and it usually tells me more than I want to know. When it comes to learning, I am a lot more disciplined. I have a special place that I cleanse and maintain it's energies. I use a special deck, have a mirror for divination, have candles.
     This gets around to how I have learned this. It can be done in 3 months, I don't recommend it, but it is possible. The study involves exerpts from C.G. Jung's Redbook, a curious work called the Chicken Kabalah, some things from Snuffin's work, the Thoth Tarot Companion, and several works on the Rider-Waite deck. Materials are:

      A mirror, silver or black (mine is silver)
      Two hand drawn nonograms
      Two candles
      Incense
      The deck of choice
      A box for the deck
      A place to trance and meditate
      A note book

    Most of this is a bit optional, but it helps me to focus and get things done. I keep an altar with the mirror, candles, and a working area for incense and the deck.
     Recognize that a mirror used this way is a portal, and is like a door. You would not leave your door open, so close your mirror when not in use. The nonogram is a sigil of the Goddess, and a protective symbol. Making two of them, and keeping the mirror covered, front and back, with them will save your psychic self grief, trust me.
     I have used the candles two ways, and get good results both ways, but it is different. I have taken two candles and made guards so they only lit the mirror, but not me, even by reflection. This is a call to communicate with a spirit, but can be less than precise. I have had difficulty getting the spirit I wanted this way at times. The other way is to set the candles on opposite sides, lighting me and the mirror, and call to my Goddess asking for understanding. This has worked consistently for me.
     I used a journal book to do the lessons. I took several descriptions of the card and hand wrote them on a page. Hand writing them lends a feel to the learning like no other, and I remember better that way. Then I took the card before the mirror, lit the candles, asked for understanding, and read the descriptions, both upright and reversed. I asked how am I like this card, and how am I different. Each card represents some part of your mental construction, and pictures part of your personality. With some study, you can learn to turn the 'switches' of your mind on and off by knowing which cards represent them and learning how to use it. After some meditation, I went to bed, still focused and reclined, working to trance and get better divinatory understanding. I would usually sleep a bit, and wake with notes to take on my question. This sometimes took more than one night. I always did this before I slept.
     Methods don't have to be exact. When I was in school I needed a quiet place relatively free of distractions to study effectively. If you are one of those people that could study in front of the tv, hold a conversation, and still get something out of it, you may not need to get so fancy. This is just what worked for me. I do recommend studying before bed and making a worthy attempt at trance.
     Trance is an altered state, neither sleeping nor awake, where you are subject to hearing and seeing things you might not otherwise. I do this with the mirror open. I have asked for Goddess (or the spirit She sends) for help, often it comes this way.  I close the mirror after trance.
      Years ago there was a scifi show called Roswell. Toward the end of the series one of the hybrids told his trainer that the alien powers had him all freaked and he didn't understand using them. His trainer stopped him and asked 'what alien powers?' You haven't even touched your alien abilities, these are your human abilities.
     This is not about 'learning' to be psychic. This is about finding abilities you had before you were born, and learning to connect with them. Anyone can do this, it is just that no one can go around saying this stuff is fake, I don't believe it, and get it done.
     Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment